[Wolves] talks

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 11:11:17 BST 2005

--- Stuart Langridge <stuart.langridge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/25/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Know this will sound silly but as a novice linux
> user I would like to
> > know why, how, and where to post bug reports.
> What can you do to
> > actively find a bug before you post etc.
>
> First part of that: look for a bug tracking system
> for the project,
> which is likely to be linked somewhere from the
> project's homepage:
> for example, Gnome programs use the Gnome bug
> tracking system at
> bugzilla.gnome.org.

I think in the first instance, if you are using
software packaged by your distribution, you head to
your distribution's bug tracking system. Ubuntu for
example has the Ubuntu Bugzilla.

Search the bug database for the problem you are having
and the package you are having it with. If you can't
find it, report the bug. You may well be asked for
more details, in which case you might ask to find out
what they want to know. I have to admit that the few
bugs I've gonme to report have already been reported.

In some cases they might tell you it's been fixed
upstream, in which case they might tell to the
upstream maintainer, or they might do it for you. This
means the actual developers of the software
themselves. This is alsowhat you do if you are
building from the sources provided by the developers.

> try for an IRC
> channel called #projectname on irc.freenode.org, and
> the people there
> (if it exists) may be able to point you at the right
> place. Failing
> that, send your bug report to the project's mailing
> list, and they
> will either deal with it or tell you where it should
> have gone.
>
> Second part:

Good read, that.

Ad