[Wolves] One for the python mingers?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 12:05:36 GMT 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 11:06, David Goodwin wrote:

Quick reply as I'm actually working for once :)

> On a Linux system locally installed python modules will normally live in
> a "site-packages" directory. This is normally somewhere like
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages

Yep seen that one, looks good to me as I trust you implicitly  :-S

> or
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages, depending on your $distro.
>
> The .pth file is used by Python to flatten the import list, so for
> instance rather than saying (in python-ish) :
>
> import foo.bar
>
> Where foo is the directory you created in site-packages. With the
> $whatever.pth you can do :
>
> import bar
>
> In teh above instance, the .pth file would contain just "foo"
>

> Hope that helps (enough),

Aaaaaaaarrrgggggggghhhh

I'll work out the second bit, us old farts have to read things a couple of
times for it to sink in :)

I could moan about "Installing stuff on linux is a pain in the arse" but
actually its not been too bad. Trouble is I can only make that statement now
as my command line skills have got better over time god help a novice trying
to get this installed.

A couple of rpm -q and then yum install for whats not there. The install
instructions are very good and give a list of whats needed so its just a case
of checking first then installing relevant bits.

This Kumla is another CRM package and we all know how much I like them, I'll
get it up and running, have a little play then do a splurge on my site about
it.

Cheers Dave, PeterE & Chris

--
Regards