[Wolves] Luser conversation

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 09:59:42 GMT 2005

On 02/12/05, Old Dan <djones9960 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/1/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Luser> Well it's disappeared.  Is there anything I can do to get it
> > > back, any buttons I can push or anything?
> >
> > So he's asking how to un-delete deleted files?
> >
> > That's not that bad a question, is it?
> No, he isn't.
>
> He's asking why the option to undelete/permanently delete files from
> the recycle bin has disappeared....
>
> When there aren't any files there in the first place.
>
> --
> Dan

It sounds like the guy has asked the question incorrectly.  I think he
is assuming that though nothing is shown in the 'Recycle Bin' he
'ought' to be able to retrieve items that have gone in there in the
past.  It sounds as though he has possibly either had some third party
add on software that accomplishes this task or has seen somebody with
it.  It's possible that he thinks it was normal shipped with MS
Windows software.

This is a big problem facing us in the Linux world.  Peeople do not
just see MS Windows.  They also see all the software that works (runs
natively) on Windows and they assume it is all part and parcel.  MS
have of course exploited this in the past with time limited software
bundled with PC deals (big discount to the retailer no doubt).  People
use the software bundled and get used to it.  They are sucked into the
proprietary format and then they get the whammo!  The time limit comes
up and they have to shell out more money just to access the documents
they have created.

Sorry, that went off track.
Take care.
Kevan Farmer