[Wolves] Video Recording via USB on Linux

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 16:08:07 GMT 2005

There are a number of technical user groups that post audio and video
from their technical meetings online. As such I'm looking to see whether
I can utilise my digital camera to recording the Birmingham.pm technical
meetings.

However, the only connection I can do from the camera is USB. The xD
cards only record about 3mins, which is nowhere near long enough to
properly record a lightning talk, let alone a whole evening. I have seen
various comments online that this is not the way to go, but nothing
about how to actually do it and whether there is any software I can use.
I may be trying the impossible if the camera doesn't support being able
to stream to the USB port, but it did say in the manual that it can act
like a webcam, so I'm assuming it can.

I should mention the laptop is running Debian Sarge, that I intend to
use for this, and the camera is a Fuji FinePix 5100.

Anyone have links or software recommendations for this sort of thing?

Cheers,
Barbie.