[Wolves] Re: The Open Source Development Paradigm

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:48:46 GMT 2005

On 08/12/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:

> > http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1660763,00.html
> > "OpenOffice is the only free and open source product competitive with
> > Office, able to read and write Microsoft format documents almost
> > flawlessly. For Linux desktop users, it is the only way to communicate in
> > the universe of business. But it also vividly demonstrates the limitations
> > of open source as a way of producing software, and its futility as an
> > ideology."
>
> koffice, gnumeric, abiword etc.....

To be fair, the author did specifically point out MS document format
compatibility.  Which Koffice doesn't have :-(  I don't have any
experience of Gnumeric, sorry.  Abiword?  Now that one does indeed
have MS document format support - but is it completely free and open
source? Not forgetting that it's only a word processing package rather
than a whole suite.

Apologies for this negativity but I'm being devil's advocate.

Take care this Xmas.  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive.
Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay