[Wolves] Live CD anybody?

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 22:23:25 GMT 2005

On 22/12/05, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cheers Bobby.  The main reason for getting Knoppix was purely for it's
> hardware support which is infinitely better than DSL.  I've got
> probably most of the Live CD's here at home.  I just needed it so my
> mate could download it at his house.  Living in Windsor it's a bit far
> for me to go just to try a live CD for him :-)  The one and only
> reason - at present - was to ascertain whether he had a working sound
> card or not.  I was going to push the benefits of Linux after this
> little demo.

Burn a few and stick them in the post to him?

> Now, so far he's downloaded one iso.  There seems to be a problem with
> though.  It shows him the pic of Tux in the top left hand corner and

A standard feature of a Knoppix boot CD. It's the framebuffer driver
it gets that far then it's highly likely he burned the CD just fine.

I'd tell him to leave it for a while on that screen. Some versions of
Knoppix are notoriously slow to boot. Alternatively boot to knoppix
and use some of the options on the boot: menu to turn off some of the
hardware detection options. Pressing the F2 or F3 keys at the boot:
prompt detail some of these options. Google can also help here.

> states that it has found the compressed Linux image.   That's it.  It
> goes no further.  So, I have the feeling that he may have got a dud
> iso or his burn did not go correctly.  He's downloading again and
> burning another copy as I type.  Fingers crossed.

I doubt that will help.

Cheers,
Al.