[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 09:44:04 GMT 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 23:36, Tim Humpherson wrote:

> Hmmm, that's interesting to note.  Perhaps our wise and noble Peter
> Cannon may be able to answer this one?
>
> Peter, could you help this poor blighter?  :-P
>
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:53:02 +0000, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Everybody who is using SuSE 9.2  Is it behaving oddly?  I can't put my
> > finger on it but I'm not happy with the way some things are happening
> > in 9.2 as opposed to 9.1  I have already mentioned the  help documents
> > not being accesible through the normal channels.  Well, i'm also
> > finding that web downloads don't always appear to be there.  I can't
> > transfer files to my separate FAT 32 formatted drive and programs seem
> > to close unexpectedly.  None of this happened with 9.1 it was quite
> > predictable and solid.  Another thing I have found is that I can't log
> > into the desktop as root.  Yes, I know it is super, super unsecure to
> > do this.  I just find it easier to manipulate certain files and
> > permissions in this manner, again I could do it in 9.1  Now I'm
> > automatically dumped into YAST.  I am seriously thinking of reverting
> > back to 9.1

Firstly can I be mister picky and ask people not to change subject lines for a
thread, its very confusing and makes it difficult to reply this was the
original thread <SuSE and more odd stuff...> but it changed after a couple of
posts to <It just gets worse :-(> the topic hasn't changed so lets not change
the subject line :-)

You might be right <Kevan> my first reaction was "Well I ain't got any
problems" apart from sound, but then I got to thinking I don't have any of
the problems you mentioned but NFS is being weird! I export a folder in
my /home/peter along with two 13gb partitions mounted in the shared folder
all the permissions are correct. If I do some exchanging unmount the share
then a little later go back and mount the share only root can read & write,
if I look at the permissions everything is fine?

Do you, like others, install any of the non standard packages? we had a
discussion about this the other day.

There seems to be a lot of 'security policy' updates flying around over both
Suse and Fedora my money is on these, maybe they arn't perfected, of course
the problem is with Suse you don't have much choice unless you disable that
particular update but then your stuffed for later on.

There is one other possibility you (Kevan) Tim and I have got our copies of
Suse from the same source, could it be they are duff copy's?

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk