[Wolves] Firefox

trig wolves at trig.org.uk
Fri Feb 4 15:37:10 GMT 2005

<snip>

> there are an awful lot of interesting little tweeks that can be
> carried out in about:config  Try scrolling down to the search engines
> line(s)  You can change the default US Google to UK Google.  Not much
> in the great scheme of things but it does at least mean that you are
> presented with a UK specific search to start with.  I've also been
> told that tweaking pipelining can help with download speeds.  I will
> find out the file and post it up here.

You mean this?

1. Open a new Firefox browser window, type "about:config" into the address
bar and hit return.
Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time.
When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really
speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows: (double click on them)

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This
means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer.
Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0".
This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on
information it receives.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

- trig