[Wolves] Updating from RH8 to Fedora X (was remote update of pc)

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 11:44:44 GMT 2005

On Saturday 05 February 2005 02:00, Alan Pope wrote:

> > A feature I'd quite like to see in Fedora (etc) is the ability to specify
> > that certain older packages are to be retained - such as the web, mail
> > and database server in the example above - whilst the remainder of the
> > distro can be upgraded as much as possible subject to dependency
> > constraints. The point
>
> This is easily done with Debian and Ubuntu - and any other system that
> is based on dpkg/apt. You can put packages on hold for exactly this
> reason.

I'm confused, what method are you using to update? all the update programs
yum, apt and even up2date gives you the option of what to update and what to
leave alone. The only annoying thing is the icon will keep flashing red in
the system tray for those packages you did not update if you run GUI.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon