[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 08:45:04 GMT 2005

 --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I can't remember myself to be honest, Mo.  I think
> I set my user
> > account up during installation.  I shall check it
> though.
> >
> Right, I have now checked the user properties and
> groups.  I am in
> users group which the drive is set up as for access
> and writing to.
>
> Now, here is yet another bizarre twist to all this.
> All the files
> have gone!  I had a few bits and pieces on this
> drive, nothing
> critical thankfully and nothing I don't have
> elsewhere.  Thank god I
> have my famous - in the family - coffee cake recipe
> in my head :-)
> Before anybody asks no I haven't formatted,
> partitioned or anything
> else this drive.  All files were there last night at
> shut down, just
> not accessible by me.  I switched on this afternoon
> but didn't look at
> the drive until later.  When I did, clean?  I shall
> check the drive in
> my Windows tin in case Linux is 'not' seeing the
> files. Why it
> shouldn't be I don't know.  I did try a test write
> to it with a tiny
> rtf file and it worked - as root of course :-(
>
> Secondly.  Is Scribus not on the CD then, Mo?  It
> was with 9.1
>
> I'm still considering reverting back to 9.1

Hi Kevan

I think I have the solution to your problem. I have
just tried one of my documents that I created on 9.0
and backed up and copied to the new installation. It
was a read only document! So I had to change
permissions and now I can access it.

Solution: when SuSE can see the drive that you are
trying to save to, switch sessions and log as Root,
looked it up from the My Computer on the desktop then
right click it go to properties and change permission
so that you can see it, It will probably be
user: root
group:root

change to:
user: "your user name"
group:users

You should be able to read and write to it now.

Yes, Scribus is only on the DVD.

HTH

Mo