[Wolves] My Ubuntu Headache et al...

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 18:19:40 GMT 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

> --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>It is
>>a philosophical point whether this is better or
>>worse than not working.
>>

>Yes. Windows (therefore Media Player) does Digital
>Audio Extraction, bypassing the audio cable from your
>drive to the soundcard, eliminating the added noise
>that this method produces...
>

>Incidentally, why might DAE be a bad thing? I don't
>know much about this to be honest, just wondering.

I just saw it as uneccessary load on the bus that would affect
performance of something that might matter more to you. I haven't
actually worked out if it would matter in practice. I believe later
models of sound cards (such as mine that doesn't work) and optical
drives have a digital socket too so you can get round the quality issue.

Woo