[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 13:06:29 GMT 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 12:38, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> Bear in mind that I can only speak to Debian here, but the /etc/cron.*
> files are designed, in Debian, to be used by packages, not the sysadmin.
> The sysadmin is meant to use /etc/crontab (possibly with the @hourly,
> @daily, etc directives).

Yeah I knew that the entries are there in crontab but theres nothing in the
folders for those entries to run!

> >And the next one
> >
> >/var/mail/peter (OK)
> >/var/mail/ (nothing) so wheres root?
> >
> >I wondered why I was not getting any root mail or any cron reports.
>
> Again, with Debian, when you set up exim (the default mail server) it
> asks to whom root mail should be forwarded and makes you pick a user
> account; mail doesn't accumulate in root's mailbox.

Don't worry I think I'm being stupid I was expecting to see a file for root in
there. Not only have I set up roots mail to be forwarded to peter but I also
have a .forward file in /home/root

Kevan has managed to get me paranoid.

--
Regards,