[Wolves] how low can Linux go?

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Feb 9 20:59:28 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 17:04 +0000, David Goodwin wrote:

> I'd have thought 128mb of ram, and ~3gb of hard disk, and a pII 400ish
> would provide a half decent experience (ram will be the limiting factor,
> until you have probably more than 128mb of the stuff)

My first linux box was a 4mb 486sx 25 (yes and SX!) it ran X quite well,
it didn't run GNOME since that wasn't even a dream then and linux was
still pre v1 ;-)

the smallest tradional computer I ran linux on was a 2mb 386 (without X)
and that ran fine (for the time)

as for ubuntu and GNOME I wouldn't think you would get any change out of
a 256mb box.  Look towards a lighter window manager and ditch the
'desktop environment' thing and a 64mb box will have usable performance.

It's just a case of stipping it back and making sure you don't run
anything you don't need and ubuntu is as good as starting point as
anthing in this respect since it is quite light on it's toes when you
remove GNOME and won't take hours to get set up like anything that might
be considered 'better' on these machines.

Drop Steve and Vinnie at a2rt.org a line because they set up these type
of machines all the time and will have picked up a few tricks.

sparkes