[Wolves] how low can Linux go?

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 16:07:31 GMT 2005

baza wrote :
> As part of this community project I'm working on we want to install
> Linux (Ubuntu) on donated PC's. This is to save the Microsoft licence fee.
>
> An issue we need to work out is what is the MINIMUM speck Linux will run
> on, using Gnome? Most of the business donated PC's are running 64meg
> ram, which I figure is way to small. But to keep costs down we don't
> really want to have to convert them into 'Uber Boxs' to run Linux.

My initial thought on this is LTSP, like handsworth grammer.  Obviously this is not
suitable if they're for people to take away, but if its to run at one location, you'd need
to get your hands on a decent server, then you could use whatever crappy hardware you
liked as terminals.

We run LTSP at work and though we have swanky little book PCs as terminals, they only have
128MB of ram and run very well.

Look at http://www.ltsp.org/ or http://www.openhgs.org/moin.cgi/LinuxProject

It may all be totally unsuitable, and I may have missed a posting where this was already
ruled out, but its all very interesting :-)

Kat