[Wolves] Progress on Ubuntu sound

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 00:34:04 GMT 2005

(Ahem) - Confession time.
Foolishly I was putting my headphones into the headphone socket on my
second-hand VideoLogic SonicFury instead of the much more obvious 'front
stereo'. Having worked that out I then had to get to grips with the
mixer(s). In the two mixer tabs for the same device OSS & ALSA, most
sliders seem to work 'in series' i.e. If master volume on one is 0 it
doesn't matter how high you put master volume on the other, you aren't
going to get any sound. Muting 'external amplifier' on the ALSA tab also
kills headphone sound.

I can hear CDs and Internet radio now. I'm a bit puzzled why in 'System
Tools, Configuration Editor' my Gstreamer 'Audio Sink' is esdsink and my
'Audio Source' is osssrc. Does anyone understand how this stuff all
hangs together? I haven't found any docs that put all the bits in context.

I guess I should try LUG Radio next.

Woo