FC3, was Re: [Wolves] Ubuntu's boot-up 'me time'

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 15:00:34 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 14:29, Adam Sweet wrote:

> > Nope! you'll need all 4 (possibly) it depends on
> > what setup you want, you can
> > do a minimal install but theres not much point if
> > you have the discs.
>
> So, how do you install new software? Download it from
> the mirror and install with rpm? I thought the
> advantage as FC was that it was almost equally as huge
> Debian in terms of packages and community and so
> (unlike SuSE, Mandrake etc) you could find your
> package easily and install it. How do you install
> stuff if you don't have the disk and what would I lose
> by not having the disks?

Whoa, hold the phone, first stop thinking in Debian mode, I know very little
about all of this stuff unlike others so what I'm about to say will probably
make me the but of endless jokes tomorrow night.

Yes you can 'Download the bits and pieces' but then why bother if the core
files are on a disc? true they will probably be out of date but for those who
don't have Broadband or an Internet connection having one Debian disc is a
bit pointless.

You can do a bootstrap install if somebody is able to create one for you (I've
never done it) this will, according to the readme let you do an ftp install.

I think your getting confused FC3 comes with all the 'Standard' packages
anything else you want you can get via yum, apt or even up2date the
difference now is you need to add those repos to your config files.

You can install via RPM but for less experienced people I'd suggest apt with
the Synaptic GUI front end that way they can see the packages read the
descriptions and decide from there, true you can do that from command line
but I like pretty pictures. The beauty of apt, as you know, is it will handle
the dependencies for you if you just do an RPM install your bound to get
dependency failures.

> > My advice is to get apt on as quick as you can then
> > get the updates.
>
> Yep.

See you knew that already!

> > I'm comming to the meet tomorrow (if its on the go's
> > list is looking a bit
> > thin) I can burn you the disks and bring them if you
> > like?
>
> Sadly I can't make it this Wednesday (future
> Wednesdays are debatable for the next month or so) as
> my band can only get a rehearsal room on Wednesday
> nights at the mo. I can just download them to be
> honest, it just means I'll be less inclined to get
> round to it...

Its up to you mail me an address off list and I'll post them to you of course
you could get the DVD from Simon? I cant afford a DVD-RW I've only got a
lowly combo drive DVD/CDRW :-(

If anyone has a DVDRW going begging I have a good home for it, Simon?

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk