[Wolves] Forcefully removing a package on Debian

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 22:10:07 GMT 2005

Stuart Langridge wrote:

> trig wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> I need to remove 'sendmail' from Debian woody, to replace with another
>> MTA, but apt reports it has dependencies and fails.. I remember Aq, I
>> think listing how to get round this..
>

> Just install another MTA. The issue here is that the "sendmail"
> package provides the virtual package "mail-transport-agent", and lots
> of stuff depends on that. If you install something *else* that also
> provides "mail-transport-agent" then you'll be able to remove sendmail

Is there a similar trick for Evolution in Ubuntu? I've removed it from
the menus but I know its there,  lurking.Synaptic won't let me remove it
because ubuntu-desktop depends on it. I've got Thunderbird 1.

Note to Novell - Integrated packages are not The Way. Integration on *x
systems is done with interfaces and tool chains. I have a
solid workbench and a rack of shiny new craftsman's tools. I don't need
a Swiss Army Knife. I haven't even got a horse to have hooves to get
stones in.

Woo