[Wolves] Hooray I can see Debian!!

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 09:26:24 GMT 2005

Hi All

I have finally got the GUI to work on my Debian running in VMware on a Windows
host (No flames please I have a valid reason) Mr Google came to the rescue
once again.

For information purposes;

Use vi (or your favourite editor) and do the following:

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Delete the line;

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION

That way you wont have to edit this file again if you upgrade X.

If you have a scroll mouse, look for the line that says;

Option "Protocol" "ps/2"

Change that to Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"

Next look for;

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Change that to Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Save and close then do startx and hey presto GUI. TA da

I have the Fedora Bible by my side to protect me from the dark temptations of
Debian (The default hostname is darkstar!!!) I only had about twenty minutes
play its woody r3 running KDE 2.2 it reminded me of Red Hat 7.2

Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a good play tonight :-)

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk