[Wolves] Linux-Compatible Webcam?

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 21:06:03 GMT 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:40:38 +0000, Tim Humpherson
<tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone succeed in connecting a webcam to a Linux OS, such as FC3
> or SuSE 9.2 Pro?

Yes. I have a Philips Toucam which works in Linux. There was some
kerfuffle on the LKML recently when the maintainer of the PWC (philips
web cam) driver threw his toys out of the pram and pulled the driver,
but I believe this has settled down a bit and now the driver is back
in the kernel.

> My webcam is a Logitech Quikcam Sphere and I know that from the
> Logitech website, it does NOT have Linux drivers.
>

>From their website maybe. There's often support for devices in Linux
that doesn't originate at the manufacturer.

> I'd be happy to accept a "generic" driver if it would WORK with the
> webcam that I have.  If it does not work, can you at least tell me
> which webcam would work BEST with Linux?

Google knows. I'd always suggest when buying hardware or even checking
existing hardware, to check google. I just did a 30 second search for
the make and model of your webcam and the word Linux and got a good
indication that it works using the driver mentioned above.

Cheers,
Al.