[Wolves] sound on fc3

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 14:58:58 GMT 2005

 --- Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver at mavit.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, baza wrote:

> > Anyway, I gave up on that and Installed FC3, only
> problem is no sound. It
> > says auto detect did not work so no sound??
> Really? Is there no way to get
> > sound?

> might be of help.

Also known as more info required. What soundcard do
you have? If you're not sure, run lspci to list the
contents of your PCI bus.

Do you know what kernel module it uses? If not, search
google for your soundcard and Linux and find out what
module is required. Then try lsmod to list the kernel
modules currently in use, you might need to use lsmod
| less if the output scrolls off the screen. If it's
in the list then it's head scratching time. Go read
/var/log/messages and dmesg | less to look for errors.

If it's not in the list try

modprobe modulename

Where modulename is the the module (without the .o or
.ko file extension). Note the output. If it's silent,
then it worked. I don't know what to do now, either
sound will just start working or you might need to
restart your sound server. I don't really know how to
do this, someone else will tell you how to do it or
search google. If you use KDE then it's ArTS I think.
There is a sound tool in the KDE Control Centre, where
if you make a trivial configuration change then set it
back and click Apply it will restart the sound server
for you. In Gnome I think it might be esd, but I've
only been using Gnome for a few weeks so I might be
hideously wrong.

If you get errors from modprobe, then thats where you
start searching. Search google for the output of these
errors. Or come back here and ask.

If it works ok and you get sound, add the module to
/etc/modules to make sure it gets loaded next time you
reboot. It's most likely that if the module were
available and wasn't failing in any way then it would
load and you would have sound so this step is most
likely redundant.

One other thing I have found with sound in the past is
that the permissions on /dev/dsp (the sound mixer
device) have been too strict to allow users to use it
(hence no sound). First of all make sure your user is
in the audio group, I'm sure FC will have a tool for
checking your user and group settings. Then look at
the permissions on /dev/dsp.

On Ubuntu my permissions for /dev/dsp are

crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2005-02-21
13:01 /dev/dsp

Note the permissions and the fact that it's own by
root and the audio group.

To be honest I'm pretty sure FC will have been set up
properly this way, the most likely thing is the module
  problems above.

You have of course checked all of the mixer settings?
Of course you have ;)

Ad

=====
--