[Wolves] Networking query

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:38:28 GMT 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:36:43 +0000 (GMT), Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > (a dedicated Smoothwall box is one of
> > the ways.) You should configure a firewall on Linux
> > even if you don't go
> > the Smoothwall way, as you have with your other PCs.
>
> With a Smoothwall box you can set up profiles for your
> connection. A profile is simply a saved configuration
> that you use for your connection. You can set up more
> than one via the web admin interface. So you can set
> up your dialup modem profile and then set up another
> when you move to broadband. If you get rid of
> broadband you can just go back to your dial up
> profile. The rest of the box (firewall, DHCP, gateway
> address etc) will work regardless of profile used.
>
> > >Are there likely to be any pitfalls in this set up?
>
> > Oh, yes. This is a fully-featured learning
> > opportunity ;-)
>
> Never been put better than that :) The Smoothwall docs
> are great for learning how to set up networks. Thats
> how I learned. Worth a read whether you intend to
> install Smoothwall or not.
>
> Ad - agreeing with Woo completely
>
> =====
> --
>
> http://www.drinky.org.uk

Cheers guys.  I shall take a look at the Smoothwall documentation in a
couple of days time.  I can't devote the necessary brain power to it
at this point in time but once this report is done I will do.

Fear not over the firewall installation,  on my SuSE tin I have the
SuSE firewall running and Sygate Personal on the Win2k one.  I
wouldn't even consider going online without a firewall set up even
with dial up.  I am horrified at the amount of people who don't have a
firewall and only rarely update their AV software on M$ tins.  It's no
wonder so many virii are floating around :-(  Which, even though we
use Linux, still affects us all because of the wasted bandwidth and
slowed network times.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer