[Wolves] Spamassassin, Amavis, ClamAV etc

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 07:17:51 GMT 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As part of my project I have to implement a virus/spam
> email filter. I have a fully working mail system
> (Postfix) on Debian Testing.

Normally it works something along the lines of :

Postfix accepts the incoming email, and passes it to a daemon running on
the local machine (normally over 127.0.0.1:XXXX). This then performs
operations on the email (e.g. virus scanning, spam checking etc). This
will then return and feed back into Postfix, which will then deliver the
  mail to the user (at which point procmail or similar, kick in and
either delete the mail or put it in a predefined folder).

Amavis, if i recally correctly, provides a plugin like architecture for
spam, virus and what ever checking. So Postfix (or similar) only have to
send the email to Amavis which does the rest of the work for you.

If you use Postfix, have a look at the /etc/postfix/master.cf file -
this is responsible for setting up the filtering to an external program.

If you want specifics/examples I can copy/paste my config in, however
it's fairly widely documented on the web.

Personally I only use spamassassin, so don't bother with Amavis.

David.