[Wolves] Sound documentation

Kelly, Martin Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 10:41:00 GMT 2005

A while back someone posted about the Agnula project to create
low-latency kernels based on Debian and Red Hat to support professional
sound processing.
I had a quick look at the time but decided I wasn't ready to invest in a
dedicated sound PC. What I didn't notice at the time was the quality of
the documentation that has been produced for the project by Dave Phillips.

I finally understand(ish) how ALSA, OSS, JACK and LADSPA relate to one
another. Have you noticed how they are all shouted? I guess it's to be
heard above the din.

I was particularly impressed by the diagram at the bottom of this page
http://www.agnula.org/documentation/dp_tutorials/alsa_jack_ladspa/ <http://www.agnula.org/documentation/dp_tutorials/alsa_jack_ladspa/>

Didn't I see JACK-rack listed in Synaptic?

I've been playing with agnula a bit.  And it's looking very impressive.  I don't think you neccesarily need a high spec machine to make use of it.  I need to understand the jack/ alsa relationship ( sounds like a long lost uncle and Aunt ). Agreed, the tutorials look like an excellent starting point and is probably my weekend project.

Because of it's low latency Characteristics I was thinking of adding Video editing programs once i'd got used to it, although I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

Let you awl know hows I get on.

Be seeing ya.

Martin Kelly