[Wolves] iriver's

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 16:51:57 GMT 2005

Simon Burke wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:50:17 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
>

>>Simon Burke wrote:
>>

>>>I have recently bought a iriver (not recieved it yet) its only 1Gb but
>>>thats all i need, to be honest (I could of got an ipod mini for
>>>simular price, but im not an ipod fan), plus the ogg vorbis support
>>>was fairly attractive to me.
>>>
>>>Anyway, does anyone know how well these work with linux, i know they
>>>can work, I have done a bit of googling around and shall do more amd
>>>fgound a couple of things, but i dont want to have ot mess round with
>>>my system too much after i got it jusr right for me.
>>>

>>http://www.jonobacon.org/projects/gnomeiriver/ :-)
>>
>>Aq.
>>

>cheers Aq.
>
>However i kind of forgot to mention that its only a iFP 899, so im not
>sure this is applicable (looks like it is for the iHP range). I should
>of quoted the model, sorry.
>
>Though i think i found something from sourceforge appropietly called ifp driver:
>
>http://ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/
>
>No more boring 3hrs journey home from work. yay

I was coincidentally on the way here to post the link below:
http://www.playerblog.com/archives/000493.shtml

It doesn't specifically answer your question but mentions iRiver's
adoption of a Microsoft protocol in their newer models. You can look out
for it in your instruction book when it arrives. I think that would make
it unfit for purpose and entitle you to a refund (but then I can be an
awkward bugger sometimes.)

I too am on the hunt for digital aural goodness or the Ogg variety for
my son's 18th birthday but there doesn't seem a lot about. Just as
iRiver start to make players that don't owe their design inspiration to
Dr. Frankenstein they take the software over to the dark side.

Please tell me that proprietary standards don't always win in an open
(largely monopolised) market. Does the Linux community concentrate too
much on promoting Freedom rather than Openess?

Woo