[Wolves] New install options

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 18:13:10 GMT 2005

On Friday 07 Jan 2005 12:57, Wayne Morris wrote:

> I'm going to install Fedora 1 as its the only distro I know, can someone
> suggest a mounting scheme for these drives. Ideally I'd like to end up with
> operating system on one drive, non critical data on another, and bulk
> storage on the 250 - stuff like mp3's , iso's etc.

How about something like this:

10Gb - Swap, / and /boot
40Gb - Swap, /usr
250Gb - Swap, /home

The 40Gb drive could be the "non-critical" one in that it could be recovered
by an OS reinstall followed by restore of the config onto the 10Gb drive.

The three swap partitions should be assigned equal priority so that they are
used in parallel, "striped" across the discs - like a RAID 0.

Alternatively, you could use the 40Gb for /home and the 250Gb for media files
(e.g. mount as /home/media or wherever), although in this arrangement no disc
would contain only "non critical" data unless you count the 10Gb. Only the
biggest of systems are likely to need more than about 10Gb just for the
operating system and programs these days.

Regards,

James