[Wolves] Roll your own firewall advice

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 01:37:08 GMT 2005

Easy now party people ;)

I have to write the firewall and NAT for my project. I
also have to write a web admin front end for it to
allow the for the adding and removing of rules such as
port blocking, unblocking and forwarding etc.

My base system is Debian testing. How should I best go
about this? Is there a nice package that I could use
or am I best writing it myself in IP Tables and then
writing a front end to add and remove rules?

To be honest I don't want to have to do it that way as
it's going to be hard and long, though I guess it will
produce the purest results and make me look cool to
future employers :)

Webmin is out as I have to write as much myself as
possible and it is a large thing to use for one job.
If it were a single tool like the cups admin tool or
SWAT I could swing it.

If IP Tables is the way forward, then any pointers to
easy to understand tutorials will be gratefully
received.

At this point, let me take the opportunity to thank
you all for your assistance and patience in helping me
with my project :)

Ad

=====
--