[Wolves] You win some, you lose some

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:43:50 GMT 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:31:09 +0000 (GMT), Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I had an ultimate kick in the teeth today. One of my
> converts did not stick with SuSE more than one day
> because its not supported by AOL! Took off SuSE and
> installed XP! The main reason for changing to Linux
> was viruses. I said "I don't want to put a damper on
> it, but soon you will be back to square one". I was
> not involved in the Linux installation process or
> setting it up.
>
> I felt quite disappointed, but when I fired up my pc
> tonight, it was very spirit up lifting. Its stable,
> safe, secure, beauitful etc. etc. etc. People accept
> the flaws in windows because thats the way it is.
>
> My biggest fear is that we don't end up with too many
> distors and none of then are kept being polished for
> the home user. We thrive on sorting issues out and
> when we get things to work we get a kick out of it, I
> certainly do. I want to see as a perfect Linux distro
> as one can get, so that I feel confident when I
> suggest to someone to change over to Linux I don't end
> up giving them 24/7 support. My other fear is that
> people like SUSE, Mandrake, Fedora and so on give up
> on the home market and spend time on the enterprise
> servers, both have to go together because people in
> the work environment are also home users, if they use
> Linux at work they will more than likley use it at
> home if it is available.
>
> Sorry for going on about things this is the only place
> I can talk about this where I will be understood!
>
> I am off to have a nice cup of tea and think about how
> fortunate I am to be part of Linux. :-)
>
> Mo

Well, Mo, take heart from this.  I have a new Pinnacle Media Center
PCTV card - the 300i.  Now thankfully I won it I did not go and shell
out about £70 or £80 for it.  I couldn't afford it anyway.  I
installed it initially on the family PC which for reasons I have
specified before has to run Win2k.  The card did not work.  The
software is tailored for WinXP.  Ok, I 'borrowed' a copy of XP Pro and
put it onto a spare drive.  It still does not work.  That's annoying -
together with Pinnacle's attitude of "it's only for XP and no, we
don't support Linux" - but the most annoying thing is bloody XP
itself!  It is quiet the most horrible operating system I have ever
known.  It is extrememly tempremental and has so far had to be wiped
and re-installed about 4 times now in just two days.  I am so glad I
use Linux.  Just let somebody try to tell me that Linux is difficult.

Now, to do some Googling to see if anybody has managed to sort out
Linux software for this tv card.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer