[Wolves] Microsoft licensing - (continued from the LUG meating)

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 14:18:15 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:29:51 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> On 11/1/2005, "Kevanf1" <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:46:32 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> >The actual article I was reading is in The Linux Handbook 9 the first
> >edition, not sure about the newer one).  It states exactly that about
> >the Mickey rat pictures and portrayals.  The US government have
> >successively added to the time out for copyright a few times in the
> >past few years.  I think the latest one has been to state that
> >copyright exists for infinity minus one day.  They did this to avoid
> >the argument that infinity is unreal - I'm not going inot the maths
> >:-)))  There is, or was, a defence being compiled to show that this
> >minus one day business was equally as stupid.
> >
> >How do the guys at Project Gutenberg get around the copyright thing?
> >Surely with the ever increasing lifespan of copyright in the US they
> >must be falling foul of copyright laws.  I did read that even material
> >that was now in the public domain had been taken back into copyright
> >due to the expansion of copyright law.
>
> Copyright is not infinitely extended, or even extended to infinity minus
> one day. However, Disney and similar large companies seem to want to
> freeze it so that nothing after about 1927 or so ever goes into the
> public domain (so that Mickey Mouse isn't PD). The American
> constitution specifically states that copyright shall not extend in
> perpetuity on anything.

Ah, this is what is printed - it may be incorrect but this is exactly
what it says:
'The US Constitution prevents indefinite copyright so they say
copyright should last forever minus a day.  Since infinity minus one
is also infinity, it demonstrates that they should perhaps buy a few
more mathematicians and fewer politicians.'

>From an article titled You, Copyright and The Law by David Harris,
page 114 The Complete Linux Handbook, dated 2003
Very interesting article especially the bit about the Sonny Bono act
that supposedly harmonised US copyright law with EU regulations.  Even
though there are no EU regulations like it....though I suspect the EU
reg's are now being brought in to match the US ones.  It stinks.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street