[Wolves] printers

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:08:30 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:40:56 +0000, Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 22:29 +0000, baza wrote:
> > "Guess what... I've got ANOTHER problem.  I can't find a driver for my
> > Lexmark X85.  Is there a secret stash of them on the internet
> > somewhere?"
> >
> > I got this from a friend who I'm converting to GNU?Linux. Can we help
> > her?
> >
> > Baza
>
> I have one of these gathering dust as I couldn't find a driver, however
> it appears there is now a foomatic driver which works.
> <http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/lexmark-list/2004q2/002536.html>
>
> This could be a double-edged sword as lexmark in is way too expensive,
> about 50 quid for a pair of carts for the X85 and very hard to get
> re-manufactured carts.
>
> --
> Ron Wellsted
> http://www.wellsted.org.uk
> ron at wellsted.org.uk
> N 52.567623, W 2.137621

I used to have a Lexmark 7000 and had the same problems both with
expense - cartridges - and Linux printing.  The expense bit I got
around by using a website based in Somerset who do replacement carts
for around £12 each.  The printing in Linux I never did get around.
It would work in CUPS as long as you only wanted black and white.  I
never ever did get it to run properly for coloured output.

The Lexmark is now dead anyway and I have an Epson C84.  Cheaper carts
- much, much cheaper - and it works in Linux :-)  Print quality is
better too.  It's not a dedicated photo printer but I have printed off
photographs and used them for things like my blue disabled parking
badge.  Cheaper than using a photo booth :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street