[Wolves] Eductional Games

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 11:16:06 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 11 Jan 2005 00:33, Andy Wootton wrote:

> Don't underestimate them. Throw them into real software as soon as you
> can. If you give the 7 year-old a 20 minute lesson on OpenOffice I'd bet
> she'll be able to support her parents for all but the most difficult
> problems.

I've experienced very similar myself - I was trying to teach my girlfriends
son (who was then 8 years old) how to use a web browser in simple stages so
as not to confuse him.  My girl friend later told me that he'd been helping
her out whenever she'd got stuck & would impatiently jump in to do stuff that
he'd picked up just watching me.

I'll backup Kevan's support for frozen bubble too - far too addictive for
daytime use ;~)

Did anyone catch that program on TV last night which showed that four year old
kids who'd been exposed to computer games had developed much better problem
solving skills than those that hadn't.  I think I'd question allowing a four
year old to play Halo but I've always thought that the advantages of playing
computer games get lost in the more frequent bad press.

kev