[Wolves] USB hard drive problems

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 23:46:02 GMT 2005

 --- Paul Harrison <milboromailings at blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> Adam Sweet wrote:
>
> | It works perfectly under Windows? All the time? I
> | might be hideously wrong but this sounds like
> either a
> | hardware failure or filesystem corruption. Have
> you
> | done a Windows disk scan? Can fsck do FAT32
> anyone? I
> | just found this on google
> |
> | http://mgalug.org/devices/removable
>
> Thanks a lot Adam - this really did the trick.  fsck
> threw up a *raft*
> of errors. Previously I had reformatted & put
> everything back on the
> drive in the belief that this was the problem, but
> it looks like I
> simply ended up replacing the cause of my hassles.
> Removing files
> fsck had a problem with means it now works sweet as
> a nut.

Excellent :) Be interesting to see whether those files
were important... Nah, course not ;)

> I have been trying to get to the bottom of this for
> six months, and
> this is the only place I have had help that has
> solved the problem -
> what a great lug this is.

Wow thanks. It was a fluke to be honest, I've never
done it myself, but yes, we are a pretty good LUG I
think and thats what we're here for - to help each
other out.

> Win 98SE & XP never complained once about all this.
> Linux is
> obviously more picky.  This can be a good and bad
> thing :-)

Sometimes a different angle makes new things appear,
this may be the case here. I believe Linux is a little
more stringent in it's use of hardware, I had a link
to something linked from kernel.org, but I can't find
it now, but maybe thats the case with fsck here. It's
just being more stringent and seeing things that MS
scandisk or chkdisk can't see (or ignored).

Anyway, glad we could help you :)

Ad

=====
--