[Wolves] They've done it again!

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Fri Jan 14 14:12:37 GMT 2005

> > The Apple cube was actually a G4 ;-)
>
> a minor issue,

Yep just being pedantic :-)

> > The NeXT cube used a 68000 btw
>
> did it?  If the G3 and the G4 are significantly
> different to point it
> out then the 68000 and the 68030 are too ;-)

Ahem, the NeXT cube used a 68040... (I meant 68000
family of processors) (btw is there a prize for most
pedantic posting of the week?) Either way a completely
different processor to the Apple Cube

> > So buy a pc with a processor based on a 25+ year
> old
> > design and run linux whoose roots are 35+ years
> old,
> > built by Linus "operating system research ended in
> the
> > 70's" Torvald instead ;-)
> >

> this coming from a man who thinks that Apple don't
> regurgiate old ideas
> with slick marketing and BSD with a pretty dress is
> better than Torvelds
> and co taking the best bits of all the Unices to
> build a new one.

I'm not sure I made any comment about OSX vs Linux
just that
(NeXT cube==Apple Cube)
in the same way that
(Linux == 70's unix)
 or
(Sparkes == cro-magnon man) for that matter,
 only if you ignore all the differences, developments,
and evolutions in between.
(thats not meant as a insult to our beloved sparkes
btw because (sparkes != cro-magnon man), (Linux !=
70's unix) and (NeXT cube != Apple Cube))

> The point still is you are supporting machines,
> operating systems and
> guis that are direct ansestors of ones Jobs was
> doing the slick
> marketing job on at NeXT and before that at Apple in
> the 80's.

Direct decendants of the 80's stuff yep sure, but
thats not the same as old stuff in a pretty dress, nor
does it mean its not something new. If direct
decendants cant be new then there has been nothing new
in IT since about 1961 (with the invention of packet
switching, is that different enough from connection
switching to count?)

>  Still
> nothing new, still nothing to see, move along now.

Nothing to see in the sense that yes, its a computer
(rather then, say a laser powered trans-warp speed
aardvark or something), but something to see in the
sense that its quite a nice computer at quite a nice
price, with quite nice software etc. Not perfect but
Quite Nice.

We can argue about it being the same as the stuff NeXT
produced (which it isn't really except that, yes, its
a computer, different hardware/software same purpose)
but if it is just a 10 year old design repackaged then
so is everything else in the computer industry up to
and including Linux (even Debian/Ubuntu ;-) )

> http://www.jwz.org/images/iProduct.gif enjoy ;-)

lol, its funny because its true...

chris