[Wolves] Fedora Core 3

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 14:24:05 GMT 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 10:51, Andy Wootton wrote:
> I had similar problems with Core 1 until I switched to a mirror.
> Fedora's own download server just doesn't seem to fail gracefully under
> load. Up2date worked fine after that.

When Fedora was born Red Hat severed the up2date capabilities so, at first,
only those with a bit of knowledge was able to update their systems.

Due to numerous complaints up2date was reinstigated/fixed using yum as its
back-end. IMHO up2date is too limited for most peoples needs it is what it
says 'an update mechanisam' where as yum and apt-get/synaptic are system
maintainers not only can you install and uninstall applications, both new and
old, but keep things updated as well.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon