[Wolves] any ideas - work in Nigeria?

scared at geneforensic.mine.nu scared at geneforensic.mine.nu
Wed Jan 19 03:54:09 GMT 2005

>>Ideally they're looking for another volunteer worker to
>>continue to maintain & run the I.T. school - anyone fancy some time out in
>>Nigeria for a worthwhile cause?

>From my experience in the Voluntary and FE Training sectors in this
country I reckon that this group would be best served by finding several
local "volunteers" prepared to learn the ropes of sys admin and using
common software solutions.

Relying on outsiders to operate the project; train clients; and naintain
the network is hardly a viable strategy to longevity.   Foreign Volunteers
will tend to be interested in staying around for at most a year and often
lack neccessary managerial and life skills.  Most organisations  charge
volunteers fees of around 100GBP per day they are on placement(where my
sterling go???)

The old bible tale of giving nets over fish comes to mind.  If there were
a pre-recruited team of volunteers with a willingness to crash learn it
should be possible to develop a curriculum in advance and maybe even
prepare a linux server for installation on arrival.

A volunteer need stick around 3months, can use the installation of new lan
as a practical lesson, guide through troubleshooting and ideally introduce
the volunteers to the lug network.  "Wolves lug, twined with Nigeria" :)
By the time a volunteer moves on the locals should be able to fend for
themselves with only occassonal long distance support.

Hope my two penneth of use, I wish the folks at Amaudo good fortune.
leo