[Wolves] Debian/iso help needed

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 10:38:54 GMT 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:32:15 +0000, Peter Cannon
<peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. I have the CDs at home is it possible to turn them back into iso images as
> the documentation suggests this is the best format to install from?

Yes, just dd bs=1024 if=/dev/hdc of=myisofile.iso

where hdc is your cdrom drive

> 2. Is it critical to name the iso images as set out on say the ftp sight what
> I mean is when I burn an image of the disks will I have to give each image
> the correct name, I don't want to get through disk 1 and find VM cannot find
> the next disc.

You can name the iso anything you like, you tell VMWARE which ISO you
want to mount, it doesn't care about the name.

> 3. if the above is not possible does anyone have the 9? images? if so can I
> have a copy? I will reimburse you for any costs involved.

Do you have fast  'net access? You can bridge the VMWARE machine to
your network and as such you'll only need the first CD, the rest it
can get over the internet.

> 4. Has anyone any experience of loading Debian on a virtual machine? help/tips
> would be appreciated.

Yes. If you don't want X it will work fine out of the box. Is the host
Windows or Linux? I have used debian under Qemu on a linux box (which
isn't as fast as VMware but is free).

> I am studying for 101 & 102 exam, the books suggest having Debian on a virtual
> machine although its not critical, its just some of the question and answer
> sections are about Debian even though I intend to take 117-101-RPM this will
> be good to have in my knowledge base.

It'll work just fine for console stuff. VMWare's pretty good at doing
this kinda stuff.

Cheers,
Al.