[Wolves] Running linux apps off a USB HDD

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 02:31:59 GMT 2005

On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 00:17, Paul Harrison wrote:

> I tried this with Thunderbird, and all I get is
>
> bash: ./run-mozilla.sh: Permission denied
>
> This trick works fine from the PC's HDD, however.
>
> The shell script has all permissions for me as a user, as does the
> HDD, /dev/sda1.  What gives?

Are you sure? It needs to have execute permission for the user running it. Try
"ls -l run-mozilla.sh" to check.

The first line of the script should be something like:
#! /bin/sh

(Type "head -n 1 run-mozilla.sh" to see.) The program named in this line to
also needs to be executable by the user.

You could also run the script using "source run-mozilla.sh" or
"bash -c source run-mozilla.sh". (The first of these will probably only work
properly from the same type of shell as the script is designed to run under -
i.e. probably bash)

Another (very unlikely) option is that the script is on a filesystem that has
been mounted with the noexec option. (use "grep /dev/sda1 /etc/fstab" to
check - there should be no mention of "noexec" in the output)

Does "Permission denied" definitely refer to run-mozilla.sh or could it be
generated by one of the commands within the script? You could put something
like "echo hello" at the top of (or elsewhere within) the script and see if
it gets as far as printing it.

Regards,

James