[Wolves] Feel the humanity of it - Ubuntu

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 20:29:27 GMT 2005

sparkes wrote:

> Andy Wootton wrote:
>
>> I clearly have a lot of reading to do but where do 'base-config' and
>> 'Aptitude' fit into the apt-get story? Are they just 'initial install'
>> and a 'friendly-front-end' for apt-get?
>
> I think you mean tasksel and dselect which are used in the debian
> installer to choose packages.  This might have changed to tasksel and
> aptitude in the newer installer.

Thanks, Sparkes. I've just found this:
"aptitude is a terminal-based apt frontend with a number of useful
features, including: a mutt-like syntax for matching packages in a
flexible manner, dselect-like persistence of user actions, the ability
to retrieve and display the Debian changelog of most packages, and
extreme flexibility and customization"

I think it was the "extreme customization" that I could have done
without at this stage.

> appitude and dselect are things you can use alongside apt to make it
> easier to use.  Unfortunatly for most users they fail

Quite!

> and the recommended ubuntu package manager is synaptic.

I've just looked. That's more like it.

Cheers,
Woo