[Wolves] Mandrake 10.1

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 09:49:38 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 04:08, Adam Sweet wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I'm going to try to tie up some stuff from your recent
> posts.

--<cut>--

> What you are supposed to
> do for security updates using the free version or
> after your paid updates run out (very quickly) is
> anyones guess.

Just be aware that support might not mean what you think! in the case of Suse
the support only relates to 'installation issues' i.e "Oi Mr Suse support I
just loaded 9.2 and the keyboard don't work!" this kind of thing they will
attempt to help with however if you ask them how to create a symbolic link to
a custom app you have they'll send you away with a flea in your ear.

> I personally think you would be fine with Fedora Core
> 3, SuSE or Ubuntu. Certainly in Ubuntu and SuSE there

Guys I know you are all orgasmic with Ubantu but do Tim and other new users a
favour don't recommend Ubantu, its painfully obvious from this list and
others that it still needs a lot of work and it would be unfair to expect
someone comming to terms with Linux to have the added problems with this
release.

I know you are all willing to help and you all want to promote Ubantu but give
the guy a break :-)

> isn't a lot to make things complicated, unless you go
> into specifics like setting up networks in which case
> you will need to know about IP addresses, subnet
> masks, default gateways etc, but that isn't really
> that hard either.

 --<cut>---

> If you buy a boxed set of any Linux distribution, SuSE
> particularly, you will get a nice big manual that
> tells you how to do stuff.

Sound advice theres nothing like a manual

> If you don't, you get google, so learning how to use google well is a big
> deal. Advice for this is on the google website, but as
> before I'll save you some trouble by pointing you at
> http://www.google.co.uk/help/basics.html and
> http://www.google.co.uk/help/refinesearch.html the
> second one is really cool. Normally you can resolve
> configuration issues via google or find someone who
> had the same problem.

--<cut>---

> If you really want to move away from FC, try SuSE or
> Ubuntu or go the whole hog and buy a SuSE boxed set
> with a nice big book in it.

I might be able to give Tim a new, sealed, Suse Pro 9.2 if you want it?

> Apologies if this sounds terse, I'm trying to help,
> but it's 4am and I'm struggling to string sentences
> together ;)

4am? insomnia?

--
Regards,