[Wolves] Real audio stream ripper

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 14:00:13 GMT 2005

On 26 January 2005 10:07 Matt Revell wrote:

> I want to listen to BBC radio programmes on my iRiver. I've paid
> my licence fee, so I believe I have a right to listen to the
> BBC's output
> in whatever format I choose and at whatever time.
>
> In general, it appears
> the BBC agrees with me. However, they still only use Real
> format and are only
> just now experimenting with MP3 (not Ogg!) downloads of *one*
> programme.
>
> Anyway, can anyone suggest a way of coverting a Real stream
> into an Ogg
> or MP3? Linux or Windows is fine.

There has been some discussion on this within the Perl community. Dave Cross, of London.pm, has written a script [1] to spider the BBC site and provide a list of stream links [2]. He also recommends looking at Ben Hammersley's RadioPod application [3] to get mp3s, but there may be some ogg plugins available too.

[1] http://dave.org.uk/code/get_streams/
[2] http://dave.org.uk/streams/
[3] http://www.benhammersley.com/weblog/2004/11/14/releasing_radiopod.html

Barbie.