[Wolves] Solaris source code will be available under the OSI-approved CDDL

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 16:10:18 GMT 2005

Solaris source code will be available under the OSI-approved CDDL
Open for business at www.OpenSolaris.org

Today, Sun announced that the source code for the Solaris Operating
System--the most advanced operating system in the industry--will be made
available through its OpenSolaris program. This milestone opens significant
new opportunities for developers, customers, and partners. Open source
Solaris means that the world will have full, free of cost access to the
Solaris source code. Sun believes that the open source model is the right one
because it benefits our customers. Open source means that our partners and
customers will be able to more easily customize Solaris to fit their needs.
It means developers ouside of Sun will be able to collaborate with our
Solaris developers at Sun to make this great operating system even better.

Highlights of the announcement include:

Sun will release the code under the newly OSI-approved Common Development and
Distribution License (CDDL), based on the Mozilla Public License (MPL)

Solaris Dynamic Tracing (DTrace) code - which changes the way you performance
tune, debug, capacity plan, or simply understand your systems - is available
now on http://www.OpenSolaris.org

Sun will form an advisory board consisting of two members from Sun, two
members from the OpenSolaris pilot program, and one member from the broader
open source community

Find out more...
Read the entire press release: http://www.sun.com/news
Preview the Web site: http://www.opensolaris.org

If you have any questions or feedback, please send a message to
cddl_announce at sun.com.

Thank you,

 Sun Microsystems

--