[Wolves] Mandrake 10.1 - Ubuntu for newbies

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 21:56:59 GMT 2005

>>Guys I know you are all orgasmic with Ubantu but do Tim and other new users a
>>favour don't recommend Ubantu, its painfully obvious from this list and
>>others that it still needs a lot of work and it would be unfair to expect
>>someone comming to terms with Linux to have the added problems with this
>>release.
>>
>>I know you are all willing to help and you all want to promote Ubantu but give
>>the guy a break :-)
>>

>Agreed again on that I'm afraid.  I still have not managed to get
>Ubuntu up and running on either of my PC's.

Keep trying. It's worth it.

I have a history of failed Debian installs and the Ubuntu Live CD is so
ill it should be taken out and shot.

It took me at least 3 attempts to install from the 'install CD' and I
still don't know why the last one worked when the first 2 didn't or why
it asked me different questions each time or who thought the "one or
more of the components has failed to install and you may have to
reinstall it" message was in any way useful to me or why I got stuck in
a loop in the menu where it couldn't continue because something had gone
wrong with the disk formatting but it wouldn't let me go back and change
it, even after a reboot...

but once it is up, it is a thing of beauty and the cleanest/easiest
distro I've used. Red Hat/Fedora is almost the opposite - a brilliant
install that leaves you with a menu with duplications and omissions.

The fix to the problems that I mentioned with my Nvidia card is
explained in full at http://ubuntuguide.org/. (I agree with Sparkes that
sources should have been acknowledged whenever necessary but this is an
excellent resource.)

Woo