[Wolves] SuSE FTP Problems - word of warning

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 10:46:54 GMT 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 10:24, Peter Evans wrote:

> Those affected may already be aware of this.
>
> I tried to update my SuSE install this morning and it appears as though the
> main SuSE ftp sites aren't accepting connections, which is fine until you
> try to use 'Install/Remove Software' and have supplementary sites - YOU
> promptly deleted all of my install sources :-)

Hi Pete

Can you expand on the above a little please?

Your more experienced than me but when I first read your mail my first thought
was "Ah, I bet you had Remove Source Files checked" however I think I was
barking up the wrong tree as you were using add/remove.

What were you doing with add/remove? were you using that method to update?

Because I'm very poor due to being an honest salesman and practically giving
stuff away I cant afford broadband at home so I do a crazy thing and download
all the /update/9.2 directory's from Suse to my laptop HDD, go home, do an
NFS connection transfer the files over then do YOU but from the local
directory.

I did that Wednesday and everything is fine, except I still don't have sound.

As a side issue, but probably not connected there is an open office update
available for Fedora (and everyone else I presume) the file is over 120MB
even on broadband it took 20 minutes to download.

It may be all the poor souls locked into this update, although that doesn't
explain your deletions :-(

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.