[Wolves] SuSE FTP Problems - word of warning

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 14:25:20 GMT 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 14:04, Peter Evans wrote:
> What I get through YOU is either security or recommended updates to the
> 'official' s/w installed on the machine, so you are correct that this only
> shows me 'approved' updates.  However there is a way of upgrading some
> components without having to purchase the next version.  This is where the
> ability to add alternative installation sources into YaST comes into its
> own.

I stand corrected. :-)

> By adding the relevant locations into the 'Change Source of Installation'
> YaST module it's possible to retrieve supplementary updates that have been
> compiled specifically for the SuSE platform.  You're correct in the respect
> that these aren't 'official' releases, but they are made available for your
> use should you choose to do so.  They are compiled and maintained by SuSE
> staffers afaik.  So in this fashion it is possible to install the latest
> KDE environment in a fashion that's compatible with SuSE (i.e. through
> YaST).
>
> By doing this I don't think I'll receive notification of updates through
> susewatcher anymore because I'm no longer running a vanilla 9.1 install,
> which is why I make it a point to check for updated modules manually.  If
> you have a look at ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/i386/supplementary you will
> see that there are not only KDE updates, but others too.  I've been using
> this method to update my KDE environment quite happily for a while now and
> any problems I'm seeing appear to be common ones encountered on both 9.1
> and 9.2 and other distro's too.  (The README note in the directory explain
> SuSE's policy on what risks you face applying these patches far better than
> I can).

See, I said you knew more than me!

I'm not keen on loading non official stuff I know thats cowardice but I've
mucked things up too many times now to go down that path. As I said before I
tried to load KDE 3.3 from the Linux Format magazine, they had what was
called a 'Suse version' but it didn't work it installed sort of OK but the
previous version always loaded instead of 3.3

Funnily enough I'm tempted to load SugarCRM on my Suse machine as I would
really like to have a play with it as I have a use for it (I'm a
database/Information freak) but its all tarballs and stuff which I've always
had problems with, I get as far as 'make install' and the thing falls over
plus I'm a bit concerned that I haven't got all the bits I need. If they did
an RPM version I'd be laughing.

Sorry I wasted your time.

--
Regards,