[Wolves] NX - FreeNX server and No Machine NX client

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 22:58:05 GMT 2005

Andy Wootton wrote:
> Is anyone playing this game?
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8139
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/
>
> It looks like a way in to Windows organisations. It offers a free (beer)
> client that can connect to terminal services that then lets you hide a
> Linux server into the broom cupboard and start offering services to the
> desktop; like a secure VNC on stimulants. The kind of companies that
> prefer to pay for things can put in the commercial server on Solaris
> while the rest of us use the free (beer and speech) FreeNX server.
> Apparently there is a demo in Knoppix. Where's that February Linux
> Format DVD?
>
> Woo

Hi,

We (Clockwork / David Chan (employee of Clockwork)) have created .debs
for NX as there weren't at the time installable client packages (this
may have changed by now?)

Anyway, usage is something like :

startnx user at host

this requests your username/password a couple of times, and then gives
you a window (like vnc viewer) into which you can do stuff. It's pretty
quick (usage wise), however over high latency networks it's not fun to
use (E.g. modem dial up from america etc).

It is however more efficient than vnc

If anyone is interested in the debs there's a pretty good chance I can
get them up for ftp download somewhere. (I can't appear to find the
package in ubuntu for example)

David.