[Wolves] LUG wiki editing

Rob Annable rob.annable at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 13:16:54 GMT 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:01:39 +0000, Alan Pope <alan.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:29:13 +0000, Rob Annable <rob.annable at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A few days in to the new wiki address and we're getting spam already,
> > I think the best thing to do is lock it down and provide you all the
> > password for editing.
>
> Blimey, you think one spam is bad.. check out the Hants LUG wiki
> Recent Changes page..
> http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RecentChanges
>
> We often get between 5 and 10 a day for a few days in a row.
>
> I would strongy recommend you don't make it read only, it kinda
> defeats the object of a wiki doing that. We have built up a list of
> sites that spam us, and banned them. You might want this? I can email
> you it and you can just paste it right into the banned page..
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

We were getting a lot more until I moved it last week, this first one
is just the beginning of more to come. You're absolutely right though,
making it read only is crap and I don't want to do it.

If you've got a comprehensive list of offenders I'd really appreciate a copy.

Rob

--
http://rob.annable.co.uk