[Wolves] Filtering Software

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sun Jan 30 17:05:26 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 16:55 +0000, Mo Awkati wrote:
>  --- Simon Burke <simon.burke at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:43:49 +0000 (GMT), Mo Awkati
> > <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Hi Folk
> > >
> > > Anyone knows of filtering software along the lines
> > of
> > > NetNanny for Linux? If not, how would I be able to
> > > control Internet content on a Linux machine,
> > nothing
> > > too complicated please :-)
> > >
> > > I don't have an immediate need for this, I was
> > asked
> > > about it by someone the other night and I couldn't
> > > give them an answer.
> > >
> > > Mo
> > >

> > It is possible to use squid with the squid-guard
> > plugin. Im intending
> > to start playing with it at the momment, though
> > AFAIK you have to
> > manally blacklist sites, though their are sample
> > lists in the source
> > which are made by robots which one can use.
> >
> > --
> > Theres no place like ::1
> >
> > Thanks,
> > SimonB
> >

> Hi Simon
>
> Am I correct in saying that squid is a firewall??
>
> Mo

Squid is a proxy server ie the browser(s) connect to squid, squid then
goes and fetches the pages from the web servers, copies it to a local
disk cache and then serves them back to the client browsers.  If all
requests are passed through the proxy, it is possible to filter out any
undesirable requests.

It can also save bandwidth as if 2 (or more) browsers request the same
page, the required page can be served fro the local disk copy instead of
fetching it again (and again, and again .....)

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk
ron at wellsted.org.uk