[Wolves] GNOME + nautilus questions

Rob Annable rob.annable at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 08:09:24 GMT 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:12 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> Rob Annable wrote:

> > Firstly, is there a way you can get nautilus to open folders in the
> > browse format straight away, rather than right-click and choose
> > 'browse folder'? I need the back/forward/up buttons and a location bar
> > and I want to be able to double click and get going.
>
>...- in Edit | Preferences | Behaviour, there's an "always
> open in browser windows" option (at least on Ubuntu warty there is).

Hi Stuart, I figured/hoped you'd make an appearance when I started to
mention spatial Nautilus :) It turns out to be the "open folder in new
window" option in SuSE. I promise to try this spatial malarky for a
bit though.

> > Thirdly, if I choose 'open location' and type in an ftp address it
> > mounts a link on the desktop and then tries to boot my default web
> > browser when I click it; then it fails because it hasn't asked for the
> > login details. What's with that? I just want it to ask me for the user
> > and password, save it, and open the location in a Nautilus window.
>
> Try File | Connect To Server, and fill in the details. You'll then get
> an FTP window again, which will also be created in Network so you can go
> back to it later.

Weird. It was the File | Connect to Server bit that I was trying.
Nothing happens at all in the window I'm in but it mounts a link to
the location on the desktop...except that when you click on that it
boots Firefox and then gives me a 'no anonymous login' error since it
hasn't given me the option to tell it the user and pass. Is it because
I chose to make Firefox my default web browser?

I've resorted to KBear for the moment, but I'd like to sort it out.

> > Fourthly, bluetooth doesn't seem as straight forward as it is in KDE.
> > I can happily push from my phone and it drops into /var/lib/bluetooth
> > without causing a fuss, but I can't work out how to pull and get up
> > the list of services that my phone offers. The bluetooth device
> > manager lists the phones nearby (including my neighbours!) but I can't
> > do anything with it beyond that point - if I ask it for the properties
> > of a phone in the list, nothing happens. In KDE I could browse the
> > contents of my phone and copy and paste. I thought this had something
> > to do with typing bluetooth:/// in the location bar, but it just
> > chokes when I try that.
>
> I'm a bit new to this Bluetooth lark, since I only got a USB Bluetooth
> adapter today (happy birthday to me!), but Gnome Bluetooth Manager is,
> um, a bit incomplete. Clicking Properties doesn't do anything for me
> either. Out of interest, what would you expect to see in here, in "the
> list of services your phone offers"? I can't think of a lot I'd want to
> do beyond send/receive files, send/receive SMSes, and use it as a GPRS
> modem, all of which are currently supported. Confusingly, there are two
> applications: Gnome BLuetooth Manager and Gnome Phone Manager. This is
> an area in heavy flux; if you're using Ubuntu, which I don't think you
> are, then the standard "it's better in hoary" disclaimer applies
> (although not better to the point of being right, I don't think).
> Fedora: dunno, although when I try it I'll report back.

Re. list of services: all I really want is to be able to browse the
contents of my phone and copy and paste. The list of services ran to
about 7 or 8 items in KDE, but I didn't get chance to try many out;
the bit that mattered was the OBEX thingimajig that opened my phone
like another drive and let me browse. I think the 'bluetooth:///'
thing is what it said on the location bar in KDE - I'm guessing that's
incorrect in GNOME.

Rob
--
http://rob.annable.co.uk