[Wolves] Linux in schools

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Mon Jan 31 14:18:31 GMT 2005

Andy,

> What were your reasons for changing?

When I balanced the significant costs of licences for MSOffice, the
hassle of checking on licences, the support time needed to keep MSOffice
up to date and the lack of MS support despite paying them loads of
money, I felt that I was not getting value for money from MS Office.

Now we have swapped to OpenOffice I find that (after the initial
changeover) it actually needs less support time. Upgrading, etc, is much
less painful than with MS Office.

So far as servers are concerned, we asked in a local company to show us
how they would install Win2k server. They couldn't get it working. In
contrast, our Linux server just worked.

> Are Windows Terminal Services cheap in education too?

Sorry, don't know anything about them or their cost.

Mark