[Wolves] I'm back..trying again.

Sean Spencer sean_spencer at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 14:31:17 BST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 13:05 +0100, David Morgan wrote:

> Windows XP was released several years ago, FC4 was released this year,
> so expecting FC4 to be fast on on machines that are a few years old (as
> I assume this one is - the ones I have of a similar spec are) is unfair.

Are the different core's (i.e. FC1,FC2,FC3,FC4) totally re-written
then ? I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the different releases were
just reincarnations of the previous versions, with maybe just tweaks
here and there, and the odd security fix/patch ?

I based my thoughts on the fact that on reading the release notes to
FC4, it states that the recommended specs are :

Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
Recommended for graphical: 256MB

I have 512MB, with 1.8Ghz processor (albeit a Celeron...).

> You might like to try xfce or something more lightweight, and maybe
> even a different distro.

Any suggestions as to which distro would be good ?

I've previously had Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora (as now)... I've looked at
the http://www.yoper.com site too - sounds interesting. Not sure if it
would too advanced for me in my Linux knowledge.

Regards

Sean