[Wolves] I'm back..trying again.

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 00:41:00 BST 2005

On Saturday 02 Jul 2005 23:46, sean_spencer at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Here's an example. I launch OpenOffice Writer - I takes about 20 seconds
> before I can use it (either starting a new document, or by clicking on an
> already created Word document.)

Just been installing and testing FC4 on my first machine over the weekend. In
the default configuration, I concur that OpenOffice.org 2 is pitifully slow
to start up and use. I ran it to see what the new version was like, forgot
that I had done so and carried on working in another window. I was mildly
suprised when OpenOffice.org finally popped up a few minutes later -
flashback to using an X terminal at university in the mid 1990s, running
everything remotely off a chronically overloaded Sun.

Anyway, following further experimentation I've found that much of the delay
was due to the Java-based components and can be alleviated by turning them
off. Try the following (although it may take some time - be patient!):

 - Load OpenOffice.org
 - On the menu bar choose "Tools", "Options", "Java" and deselect the tick box
at the top of the window to use a JVM.
 - Click OK to apply the change.
 - Restart OpenOffice.org

As regards general responsiveness of Gnome, etc, I suspect that the main
performance limiting factor is memory. Upping the memory to at least 512Mb
should make a big difference without being (particularly) expensive these
days. A 1.8GHz Athlon should be more than adequate.

FC4 runs rather nicely on my dual Xeon with 4Gb RAM and 12 disc RAID array. :)

Regards,

James